Tuesday, May 12, 2009

It is a sad day today...

The world has lost a wonderful woman today. My husband's grandmother passed this afternoon. She has been sick and was in the hospital. It doesn't make this any easier. I vowed when I was 13 and lost my dear grandmother that I would never love an old person again. It was too hard to lose them. Well, I didn't keep that promise to myself and I found myself adoring my husband's grandmother despite myself...
"Ocha" Her name was Ambrosia and we all called her "Ocha". She was a tiny little spitfire of a woman. She loved a good joke and loved to tease people. She didn't speak a word of English nor I Spanish, but that didn't matter. We really enjoyed each others company. My mother in law or my husband would interpret for us. She really loved my children, her great-grandchildren. Since my huband's father passed away when he was still an infant, my grandmother in law lived with him helping raise him. He turned out awesome in great part because she was a driving force in the family. I am going to miss her terribly. I do know that she is now out of pain and she is with her family and friends that have all gone before her. She had lived for almost 94 years. That's a looong time. She had 4 children and several grandchildren and great grandchildren, not to mention their children... This woman started a legacy. She saw this world change in so many ways. Ways that we will never know. Sometimes for the good and sometimes not so good. I wish I could have spent more time with her. I guess we can all say that when a person we love dies.
Te Quiero Ocha. Hasta Luego.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Miranda said...

My heart goes out for you and your family. So sorry for your loss. (((BIG HUGS)))

2:38 PM  
Blogger Queen-Size funny bone said...

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I hope everyone can have comfort from all the memories you've gathered over the years.

3:03 PM  
Blogger Big Mama said...

Thank you Miranda (big hugs right back at ya).

Thanks QS. We have such fun wonderful memories of her. She was awesome.

Hubby is on a flight right now with his sister.

7:51 AM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

Ambrosia, what a gorgeous name... huggs to you and yours at this difficult time.

1:57 AM  
Blogger Big Mama said...

Thank you Cazzie!!!

7:47 AM  
Blogger just a kat said...

Ambrosia is in a much better place now. I love that name! I am sure she has been welcomed by all those she has been missing for a while. What a long and lovely life she has had, raising your wonderful husband, being a part of so many kids' lives!! Ay chica, you are all blessed by her prescence. Do not mourn her passing, CELEBRATE her life!! I think she would want it that way. So when super cute Hubs gets home, I think you should ALL tell a joke in her honor and toast her one final time. Yes?

Big Hugs to my friend Big Mama!

3:26 PM  
Blogger Big Mama said...

Thank you Kat, your words of encouragement mean the world to me. The kids and I were laughing how she would pretend to eat then hide it in her bra and when you caught her she would put her finger to her lips and shhhh you then smile and wink, LOL! She was so awesome.

6:40 PM  
Blogger mama biscuit said...

I'm sorry I missed this post. My bloglines is not picking you up again.

She sounds like a wonderful lady who will be missed. Hugs for all you!

7:30 AM  
Blogger Big Mama said...

Thank you Tysgirl.

7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home