Thursday, August 21, 2008

WATER & TEARS...
Today has been filled with both.
I write this post today with a heavy heart. My last remaining grandparent died at approx 10:30 this morning. Grammie Esther was 81 years old. I have a lot of guilt because I had not seen her in 20+ years. She was such a nice woman. She was always so very strong and loved watching baseball. I remember going to their house on holidays and how there was always such a really big spread with lots and lots more food than anyone could ever eat. My grandfather (her husband) passed when I was living in Italy. I always thought that was kind of ironic because he was from and Italian immigrant family. She fell last week while my parents were here and we were keeping tabs on her. Two of my aunts live near her (in Vermont) and my uncle lives a days drive away (in Pennsylvania). My mom boarded a plane on Tuesday and headed home to be with the family. My g-ma had been living with severe Parkinson's Disease for a very long time, 25 years or so. When she fell she hit her head on the bathtub and sliced her ear off. She was living in an assisted living facility. They took her to the hospital and realized her meds were all messed up and not working. She was so tired, she was ready to go. My mom, aunts and uncle took 12 hour shifts to be there with her. My aunt M1 would curl up in her bed and comfort her, that thought makes me happy. She has been in and out of it for the last week or so. When my mom got there she opened her eyes and smiled at her. They gave her her last rights 2 days ago. They were all there together for the first time this morning and when they were she passed. I think she was waiting till they were all surrounding her. That is such a comforting thought. She helped them all with their journeys in this world and they helped her transition out of this one.
She's at peace.
On another note, the wind and rain here has been tremendous. We really needed the water and I am happy to have it. I just don't like to drive in it.
So please keep our family (especially my mother) in your thoughts tonight.
*R.I.P. Grammie Esther you will be missed.*

7 Comments:

Blogger mama biscuit said...

(((HUGS)))

I'm so sorry for your family's loss.

8:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ohhh I'm so sorry...

10:22 PM  
Blogger The Q said...

I'm so sorry. I will keep your entire family in my thoughts.

{{{{HUGS}}}}

11:52 PM  
Blogger ~Just Me Miranda~ said...

I'm so sorry for your loss! (((Big Hugs))) You and yours are in my prayers.

8:07 AM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

Huggs to you and yours at this difficult time. You know, it is normal even if you last seen your Grammie yesterday to have guilt. It is just human nature. the fact she was always in your thoughts and continues to be is just so tremendous, and it is what we would all want, no to be forgotten.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Big Mama said...

Thank you everyone, your words have been very comforting.

8:40 AM  
Blogger just a kat said...

Sorry to hear about Grammie Esther. She is at peace, whole again. I'm glad your aunts and mom were there for her. Hugs to you (even tho they are late).

8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home