Friday, June 22, 2007

REST IN PEACE MY FRIEND....
BENNINGTON -- Stephen A. Bolesky, 62, a well known and respected history and economics teacher at Mount Anthony Union High School and a former resident of Myers Road Shaftsbury, died Monday, June 18, 2007, at the Crescent Manor Care Center in Bennington following a long illness.He was born in Evansville, Ind., Sept. 20, 1944. He was the son of Andrew J. Bolesky and the late Rita L. (Zeller) Bolesky. Steve received his education in Evansville and was a graduate of Indiana State. He later received a masters degree in history.Steve married Constance Oxley on Nov. 25, 1977, in Woodford.In 1977 Steve began his teaching career at Mount Anthony Union High School in Bennington where he taught economics and history. He was the only economics teacher in the history of the school. Steve served as advisor to the chess club which over the years won several state titles. He was also an advisor to the Student Senate and building representative and negotiator for the SWVEA.Steve was an avid hiker and over the last 20 years organized an annual hike up Mount Washington. He climbed all 48 of New Hampshire’s 4,000 foot peaks twice. Being very thorough, he wanted to make sure he hadn’t missed anything. An avid fisherman, Steve also built his own wood-strip canoe and later wrote a book, “Building the Wood-Strip Canoe,” which is in the National Library of Congress. His other interests included the Old West and the Civil War and music ranging from Waylon Jennings to Yo-Yo Ma to Muddy Waters. He enjoyed gardening and loved his cats. A seemingly intelligent man, he inexplicably cheered for all the basketball teams coached by Bobby Knight. He also rooted for the Cincinnati Reds, formerly owned by Marge Schott and her dog Schottsie. Steve was a Chicago Bears fan and on many Sundays could be heard shouting “Da Bears.” He drove a pickup with the license plate “Hoosier” and a sticker on his back window that read “Why Be Normal”. Steve was a gentle man of grace, humor and dignity.Survivors include his father, Andrew J. Bolesky of Evansville, Ind.; an aunt, Catherine Underhill; and three cousins, Beverly Lankford, Linda Tur and David Underhill; along with his many friends, students and colleagues.A memorial service to celebrate the life of Stephen A. Bolesky will be held at the North Shaftsbury Community House on Old Depot Road in Shaftsbury on Tuesday, June 26, 2007, at 6:30 p.m. Given Steve’s fashion sense, casual attire is required. If anyone has any pictures of Steve that they would like to share please bring them to the service. Directions: Go North on Route 7A, Old Depot Road is the first right after The Chocolate Barn. Proceed a short distance to the Community House.If friends desire, contributions in memory of Stephen A. Bolesky may be made to the Southwestern Vermont Regional Cancer Center through the office of the Mahar & Son Funeral Home, 628 Main St., Bennington, VT 05201.
This man was a teacher of mine in High School. He really meant the world to me. Have you ever had a teacher that made learning fun and exciting? This was him. He was a character. He would dress the part of any character that we learned about. He came to my graduation party. He never had children because all of us were his children.
The past few years he suffered from a brain tumor and last summer he killed his wife and has no memory of doing it. He went to jail and was awaiting trial then he got very sick. They put him a nursing home where he died shortly thereafter.
The whole story and circumstances make me sad and he will be missed terribly.
I am going to miss you my teacher, my mentor, my friend, R.I.P.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger The Q said...

How sad...and odd. (about the shooting of his wife thing, being odd).

Yes I had a teacher like this. To this day, I still credit him with a lot of what I've accomplished. He truly made me believe at a young age (11 years old) that I could do anything. He used to come to my softball games and watch me play then talk about how great I played to the class the next day. He wouldn't even grade some of my tests because he said "I already know you got a 100%, why bother?" He would also let me sit at his desk in the front of the room during class and grade the other kid's tests! He even had a nickname for me (Carmella) that he called me to be funny. I was basically the teacher's pet and I loved it :-)

He made me feel important, smart and confident. 18 years after I had him for a teacher, I found out that he was now a principal of a grammar school, so I sent him an email thanking him.

He claimed to remember me, but for whatever reason I think he was just being nice ;-)

I'm sorry for your loss.

5:42 PM  
Blogger Big Mama said...

Thanks Sooz and yes it was strange about him killing his wife. I knew him very well and had for many years and I know without a doubt when they found him disoriented, carrying a gun and looking for an intruder, that he was no longer himself. He too made me feel like I could do anything I ever put my mind to. He was one of few people that believed wholeheartedly in me. I cherish those memories dearly.

10:11 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

I cannot fathom why they jailed him!!! So then, how many more people have been jailed for something like this when they are non compous mentos?? Anyway, I am so sad for this story and for the loss of a dear teacher of yours. Your life has been enriched by knowing and learning from him.
My best freind from Carmel CA came to Australia and died too young from this thing. A learned girl she was..and it is such a shame I miss her DAILY!!

12:46 AM  
Blogger Big Mama said...

Thanks Cazzie!!! And you're right, he was sick and needed help. I too am sorry for your loss.

8:36 AM  
Blogger mama biscuit said...

I'm sorry for you loss Big Mama. Sounds like he made quite an impact on you.

I pretty much had a long string of teachers that didn't give a crap.

6:28 AM  
Blogger Big Mama said...

Thanks Tysgirl, he really did. You are so lucky no one gave you crap! My two older brothers caused my life to be hell when it came to the teachers!!! One of my bros was a loser and did drugs and got in fights and was generally ODD (I don't mean odd) and the other was such a sweet compliant good all around guy. I had to live up to the expectations of one and dispel myths about the other. It was tough.

6:57 AM  
Blogger Sherri Sanders said...

Oh, the poor guy. What a retched way to spend your last days.

3:45 PM  
Blogger cher said...

what's wrong with me? as touching as this post was and believe me, i am saddened by his death for you, but what sick part of me now needs to know the details of the murder?

5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home