Monday, July 10, 2006

LIFE LESSON #???...
While out picking up some shorts for LM (who has grown incredibly this summer) at Wal-Mart we experienced something my children have never experienced... They saw their first transgendered person. No it was not a Drag Queen, they have seen plenty of those. This person was an honest to goodness male to female transgendered person. She was walking away from us with blue jeans and a white spaghetti strap tank top. She had long curly blonde hair, a braod back and was obviously very conscious of the way she walked. She still had a man's gate and hadn't lost the adams apple. But she looked ok. Both of my kids said,"she looks like a man..."
Ahhhh, perfect time for a life lesson. I asked them if they knew what transgendered meant. My son did, my daughter didn't. So I explained it to them and of course added that it is normal and that person is doing what they can to make their world right. I love when I can take a few minutes to teach my children how to be tolerant of the world around them. We talked about what GLBT was an abbreviation for. We talked about how this is normal just like being straight is normal. I am and always have been intolerant of ignorance. Just because someone doesn't live the way I live doesn't make it wrong or bad, it just makes it different. I can only hope that other people feel the same way about me.

12 Comments:

Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

Oh, so well done Big Mama, if there were not so many ignorant people about the place and alot more tolerant people with the brains to be able to talk about TG people without the slightest amount of animosity then it would make my life and that of my friends' lives that much more tolerant. Also, my childrens' lives too..it is the kids that you worry for the most, but teaching them to be tolerant of everyone from the outset is the way to go. Education is the key :)
Hope the migraine has well and truly lifted.

10:59 PM  
Blogger Big Mama said...

Thanks Cazzie!!! as a parent you know how hard it is to shield your children from the ignorance of others... I wish more people would just realize that people are just people.
Yes, it took a few days but the migraine has finally gone to find someone else...

7:32 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

You know, this was a great topic you touched upon. A lot of people also get the transgender community confused with being ‘gay’. Changing your sex has nothing to do with sexual orientation. I have a friend who was a man…who had a sex change to be a woman… However, he…now a she…still remains to prefer women to date. Does that make sense? Technically you can say he got a sex change to be a lesbian…hehe….but he’s really ‘straight’.

Ugh GAWD I just confused myself! But you are such a wonderful person for having such an opened mind and an opened heart. Your kids will thank you for that ---always!

10:08 AM  
Blogger Big Mama said...

LOL! deb~ that WAS confusing, but I think I get it... Tolerance means just that, you live it. I want my children to grow up to be compasionate people with a huge heart and soul. There is never a good reason to shut someone out unless of course "their mama didn't raise em' right" and they are hateful.
...and in the words of the "great" Will Smith;
"hate in your heart will consume you" Yeah quoting a pop/rap star really does a lot for my street cred, huh? LOL!!!

11:55 AM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

Nope, makes sense to me Deb, I am living it!!!

12:42 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Yeah, lots of people think that transgendered means "gay". They're just beautiful people trapped in the wrong bodies. And most of all, the torment that they went through while growing up must have been a traumatic experience. I can ONLY imagine. My friend who is transgendered is such a beautiful "woman", who has such a loving heart. "She's" amazing and loves her women. And---she's straight! Go figure1 ;)

10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, I'm a first time visiter following links (I need to get a life!)

I can so relate to your "about" statements with losing identity. Reading this first post I really admire you.

I love the fact that you took the time to not only explain terms, but to discuss them, and the real people behind the terms in the bigger picture. I only wish more people were as open as you. :)

I'll be back if you don't mind...

11:04 AM  
Blogger Big Mama said...

Welcome Susan! My doors are always open. Please feel free to hang out here as often as you would like. I am a notorious blurker myself, I love to link-surf.

My children belong to this great big world and if my teaching them touches their lives and the lives of others, then they in turn can teach twice as many. Hopefully if enough of us teach our children well, this will be such a nice place to live...

12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bravo! I don't think anyone could have said it better. Good for you being honest with your children.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

Exactly Big Mama, education IS the key.

5:26 PM  
Blogger Wild Butterfly said...

Like everyone above said...well done!!! Most racism and hate is taught by parents, grandparents. SO if we instead teach love and acceptance for ALL regardless....maybe the world would be a better place!!! XXOO!!

5:31 PM  
Blogger Gareth said...

I know a hell of lot of gays who could take lessons in tolerance from you.

Your kids as so lucky havinbg sucha great mum.

4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home