Thursday, June 12, 2008

PRIDE MONTH...


I didn't know that June is Gay Pride month. YaY my birthday month! I don't keep up with very much and I just found this out last night. I know I'm slow, but at least I'm learning. I wish that we (as a nation) would finally figure out that being gay is not a threat. Obviously I am not gay but I can empathize with those who are. I can not imagine the every day struggles they face. Be it personally or at the work place. I don't understand why so many people are offended by same sex marriages. I think people loving each other is a wonderful thing and it should be encouraged. I don't understand why they want to ban the marriages. That is so hurtful and hateful. I have a couple that lives 2 doors down from me. They are very nice people with a nice house and a nice dog. They are no different than us except they don't have kids. I often wonder if one of them (God forbid) were to end up in the ICU, would the other one not be able to come in because they are not "blood related". That's stupid! I often think about how they are discriminated against. That's wrong. Our nation fails so many people, for what?!!? Does this make people feel better about themselves because they stopped a marriage between a same sex couple? What about getting insurance and other perks from their partner's place of employment. I don't understand the thinking (or should I say NON-thinking) behind all this. What others do in their private life does not and has not ever affected the way I live. I have been teaching my children since they were little that being gay is just a part of life. Either you are born that way or you aren't. It's not something you "fix" it is what it is.

For all the small minded pinheads out there, just think about why you are against the whole community of people that only want to have the same rights as you.
Are you threatened?
Are you so far in the closet that you refuse to admit the fact that you are gay?
What is it?
Why do you feel the need to hate?
Fill me in because I am obviously missing something. Oh and I am so glad I am missing something.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger mama biscuit said...

Amen sista!

9:02 AM  
Blogger The Q said...

I couldn't agree more. I do NOT understand why anyone gives a hoot about anyone else's personal life. As long as it's two consenting adults, more power to ya!

They are in need of people to officiate same sex marriages here in CA starting next week. They're asking for volunteers and training them to be able to perform marriage ceremonies because as of the 16th it'll be legal. If we weren't swamped, I would have totally gone down there & volunteered my time to make it happen. They're expecting a large turnout, which makes me very happy :-)

4:55 PM  
Blogger Big Mama said...

I would SO volunteer!!! Not to mention talk about the economic boom for wedding planners and bakers. Talk about generating income. How can this possibly be a bad thing? Sounds like a win-win situation to me.

7:41 AM  
Blogger Mia said...

Very good post. Ironically, since being in my relationship with Susan, I'm amazed at how many homophobics there are in the world. It's a lifestyle, the heart knows no gender. I say if no one is getting hurt leave them alone.

I tried teaching my children the same thing. And they seem to be ok with 'others' but me...hmm....I think their dad had alot of input on how they think about our relationship.

12:08 PM  
Blogger Big Mama said...

Miranda from what I know about you (from following your blog) you are an awesome mom. You have done wonderful things with your daughters, they have turned out to be great people. With maturity comes wisdom When they get older and can really see you through adult eyes, I think they will be more understanding. I think being in love is a wonderful thing and I am so glad you and Susan found each other. Everyone should be so blessed.

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home