Friday, August 04, 2006

STILL THE MAMA....
Of course I'm still the Mama, duh, I am BIG Mama after all.....
We all went to open house at the kids schools last night. First we went to Babygirl's new BIG elementary school. This will be her first and last year there. The place is immaculate! Everyone was incredibly friendly, warm and welcoming. Their setup was very easy to follow, we didn't get lost. In short, it was very nice. Her teacher is preggers and will obviously be on maternity leave soon. She seemed fine. Answered all my questions without hesitation. I think we are going to be happy there.
I wish I could say the same with Littleman's school. O.K. we all know that middle school is just awful all by itself without any help from any adults. Well, we walked in and it looked like all hell had just broken loose and we were there just in time to catch the debris. We walked in, there were no signs ANYWHERE to direct us. It was very overwhelming. We worked our way down a very overcrowded hallway only to ask someone where to go, just to be redirected back up where we came from. I saw the cafeteria and decided to poke my head in there. SCORE! I saw a table that said "grade 7". O.K. that's close. We held my son back this year (for our very own reasons) so he is repeating the 6th in a new school with a fresh start. The "grade 6" sign was all the way in the back corner of the room so we went back there only to find they didn't have him placed yet......sooo we went to the front office to ask about placement. Their computers were down so they couldn't help us or the 30+ other families standing there waiting for answers. MMMmmK... So we decided to wander a little and we found the band room. We met with the band teacher. He seems cool and is friends with our son's saxophone tutor. My son whom I love dearly without question and hesitation was acting like a total butt (boy will be boys MY ASS!)! Oh well.... We left and I was feeling overwhelming dread and anxiety.
I had a meeting at 8:00 with his special ed OHI teachers. I feel SO MUCH BETTER now. I am not nearly as scared for him as I was. Please everyone send me all your good karma and prayers. I KNOW they are resilient and I KNOW they will be fine. I am O.K. being the basket case as long as they are happy.
Like a dear friend once said,"you are only as happy as your saddest child."
Ain't that the truth?!?!

6 Comments:

Blogger CP said...

I love that saying!!!! Wow. How true that is!!!


Sorry you had such a hard time at your sons school. Middle school is a different world from the cookie and cola affairs of elementary.

My big girl just started college last year. You want to talk about upsetting? How about when you can't even ASK your childs professors how your child is doing...because your child is an "adult"??? That SUCKS.

Sure, I can PAY for college, I just can't know anything about it.

*fumes*

CP.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Cinderella said...

Awwww you are such a great mommy..you really are. That saying is so true...so very true.

I am also sorry you had such a rough time at your son's open house/school night. Hopefully when the school year starts it will get better one day at a time.

I have a new blog sweetie, (It's Shannon) in case you were wondering lol.. xoxoxoxo

1:02 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Middle school is NERVE wracking!! I haven't even had a child in middle school for over 3 years now and my palms got sweaty reading your post!!

And I love that saying too. When my son went off to college and was incredibly freaking HAPPY...WAY happier than any child had a right to be being away from home, I used to comfort myself by remembering that the only thing that would be worse than him being happy without me would be if he were miserable without me.

1:40 PM  
Blogger the not so "new" mom on the blog said...

Hi Big Mamma - I found you on Shannons blog (i mean Cinderella) so I thought I would pop in and say hi - HI!

4:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah rats, i don't rmemeber my password. but you definatley got my email


Cher

1:45 AM  
Blogger Big Mama said...

CP- OMG!!! Just thinking of my child as an adult is frightening! I agree, if you are footing the bill you should have access to all records...PERIOD!

Cinderella!!! HEY! Nice new digs you've got going on over there!!! I have to update my links now...

Oh Lisa- I'm so glad you can relate and you obviously did a great job if he is happy away from you. You would be dying inside if he were miserable away from you.

nmotb- Welcome!!! Please stop by anytime.

Oh Cher, you are so funny! Yes, I did get the e-mails, keep them coming. Please tell Mel that we miss her...

9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home