Friday, November 10, 2006

Think about that saying for a minute..... Umm... does that make any sense to ANYONE??? I didn't think so. Although I do say that quite a bit, it makes absolutely NO sense whatsoever!
I give a lot. I give advise (sometimes unwarranted), I give a helping hand to those who need me. I give a strong shoulder to those who need it, so I give my strength. I am a giving person, that's what I do. (no you perverts! not like that!!!) I suppose I could give a rat's ass....if I had one. Where would I obtain a rat's ass??? Off a rat of course. I don't happen to have rats laying around (nor would I want to). I guess you could obtain one. But, and here is the big question, WHY would you WANT a rat's ass anyway??? HMMMmmm???? Why would on want to be on the receiving end of that transaction??? I wouldn't. That's just plain gross.
When my hubby and I were first together his English wasn't "great" by any stretch of the imagination. I always thought his accent was adorable. He now speaks perfect English thanks to me. But back to my thought.... I said the term "once in a blue moon" to him and he got this odd look on his face. With this look, his eyes were telling me he had no freakin clue what I was talking about. It was then I realized that I could have a lot of fun throwing new and interesting idioms his way. I've explained all of them to him by now. It's been 15 years and he "gets it" now. But with the phrase "I could give a rat's ass" he made me realize that it makes NO sense at all. In fact it is not something that I even want to visualize. Do any of you (my faithful followers) have any silly/quirky sayings that make no sense or make sense just to you?!?!? Inquiring minds want to know.

10 Comments:

Blogger Melly` said...

Oh - I always thought the saying was "I couldN'T give a rats ass" - and that meant... that we couldnt give the lowest of something?

Maybe? (Cept we had a pet rat once and we LOVED him - cost us a small fortune at the vets when he got tumours and liver problems...)

I should shush. We probably shouldnt be allowed to have pets.

3:37 AM  
Blogger Big Mama said...

LOL!!! Thanks for the early morning laugh Melly. Maybe our saying is a morphed version of yours. Of course yours makes sense... LOL!!!

9:34 AM  
Blogger Cinderella said...

I always say 'I couldn't give a rats azz' as well....now I am questioning myself lol...Does it make sense or not? I agree with Melly...we say it because it is the lowest form of something..that sounded good lol

xoxoxoxo

9:37 AM  
Blogger Big Mama said...

Well Shan, it's starting to look like I was using that nasty saying incorrectly all this time, LOL!!! See I really do need you around around to keep me in line... *heehee*

8:54 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

I love all people but I maintain a saying my mum used to use when I would say this, "Buuuut Muuuum, it just isn't faAI!!!"..SHE WOULD REPLY, "Well, neither is a black fellas bum!!!"

9:24 PM  
Blogger Big Mama said...

LOL!!! That was a good one. Of course where I live, that could get you seriously hurt... LOL!!!

10:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the others are correct, there should be a 'nt at the end. But...I've heard it used both ways. It's personally one of my favorites!

7:53 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

You can obtain lots of rat asses in the Manhattan subways. Do you want some? Next time I'm there I can get some and mail them to you first class.

By the way, isn't the phrase "I couldn't give a rat's ass" which also makes no sense?

Frankly, I couldn't give a rat's ass which way it's supposed to be said. ;)

10:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know a lot of people who say, "I could care less," when really they mean, "I couldn't care less."

As for a rat's ass, I've tended toward the phrase, "I don't give a rat's ass..." In fact, I used it on my blog just last week.

11:58 AM  
Blogger NWJR said...

I think I saw someone eat a rat's ass on the first season of "Survivor", but that's about it.

9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home