Tuesday, May 27, 2008

I NEED A NEW CAREER...
I know why I'm stressed all the time.... Working in a law firm is not for the faint of heart. I have more than my share of work without question. I have been here at this job for 6 years now. I like the work and I just adore my boss. Lucky for me I like most of the girls I work with. That helps. But sometimes the stress has me rethink my employment choice. When I started there I knew nothing about anything, I didn't even know how to type. He my boss) hired me anyway. I have made every mistake there is to make (and then some). I have learned everything there by myself with very little help and made myself look totally incompetent in the process. But at least I'm learning, that counts. To this day I still have a hard time making heads or tails of things and I feel so stupid. I know a lot of this stuff is not my job and that's why I don't know it (no one is bothering to teach me), but I don't appreciate the fact that when I don't know something, that is somehow my fault. Does this even make sense? I have a high IQ and I really should have gone to college, but my parents were not very encouraging when it came to having to pay for it so they discouraged any thoughts of further education. Thanks folks!
So here I sit making very little but expected to work double time. I demanded a raise last year and I got it. I know that I can't compete in the paralegal market without a degree. But here's the thing. I don't WANT this as my career. I would love to teach art classes or be a principal of a school or help in the community somehow. I want to be a productive part of society. I just love being around the attorneys and listening to them. They are so smart and I have learned so much, I just feel like I am wasting my life there.
Do all of you feel fulfilled with your jobs or are you just doing the 9-5?
P.S. Babygirl is on the upswing, thanks for the good karma...

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Sherri Sanders said...

I have sooooo been there!

Going back to school was one of the scariest things I've ever done, but, I'm so glad I did it!

Maybe you should take a few clases in something that interests you, you might just find your niche.

8:03 PM  
Blogger Persnickety Ticker said...

I used to be a Clairol consultant. I had to fix the monumental screw ups that people who don't read directions would inflict upon themselves.

Now I make and sell my own jewelry.

I would never give up what I do now because I am living my dream.

(somtimes I miss having lots of people to talk to...blogging is fixing that.)

8:21 PM  
Blogger Karin said...

I think my job is fairly fulling but I don't know yet how good I am at it. Of course the pay for my job sucks but the benefits are the best. All the hugs and giggles you can take. The hours could be better, but they have improved a lot in the last couple of months.

Somehow I don't think this was helpful.

12:06 AM  
Blogger mama biscuit said...

I do a job much like Karin's, only I get paid a lot of money to do it. Who can complain about that?

Follow your heart babe.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

You taught yourself everything? By your own self? You have got to be proud of that, how far you have come? Maybe you need a break from it for a while, vocation change even?
My job, I love it, it is not ever 9 to 5 though, bing a nurse, our shifts are all over the place. Today I worked 1pm to 930pm. It both a very stressful, busy yet rewarding shift. Next I work two am shifts 7am til 330pm. And..."I Don't DO Mornings!!!" LOL

8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home