Monday, September 04, 2006

WOW!!! SEEMS LIKE I HAVE BECOME A MONDAY POSTER...
Actually I have a really good reason for my lack of postings lately. Does this
mean anything to you? Maybe this does... Or this....

Yep, that's right! We are now proud parents of a little black lab girl named Allie. Savannah is a military town and I really love it here but... This little pup (she's about 8 months old) was left in the backyard of two soldiers who got deployed. The shelters are full and no one would take her. The soldiers gave a heads up to the rescue people but no one came out. They had no choice but to leave her tethered in their back yard. She was rescued and we (suckers) took her in. She has no house manners (yet) and obvious issues with people leaving her. Not one of us can get up and walk around because she is stuck to anyone that moves. She has had one potty accident in Babygirl's room but that was it.

To be perfectly honest I don't like dogs, never really have. I like other people's sometimes. But I have to admit I am a total cat person. The hubby is allergic to the cats and has wanted a dog for 15 years so I figured it was about time for me to cave before he came home with some HUGE MONSTER TYPE of a dog. She is ok I guess, smells like a dog and my cats are pissed. Hopefully We will all get used to this alien among us.

If you have any advice or thoughts that will make this easier, I would really appreciate it. I want to like her, really!

11 Comments:

Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

OMG, lab's re pups until they are about 2yrs old, My mother outlaw has had lab's always and her sister has had lab's and no other breed always and they say the same thing, they are pups for so long.
Greatest advice is this, take her along to obediance classes asap, she needs to know who is boss.
Besides that, they are gorgeous dogs and wil be loyal to you and your kids for sure.
Poor kitty cats, hope they get accustomed to her soon enough :)

9:27 PM  
Blogger Mia said...

Omg soooo cute. I myself am a dog person. I'm allergic to cats, and I think they know that as soon as I walk in the room.

8:15 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

OMG she's so cute

my dad has a KING black lab (he weighs almost 110 lbs) and my own doggie lives up there too, she's a german shorthair pointer..I LOVE doggies, kitties too..she's beautiful..believe me, LABS are one of the loveliest dogs to own..you will find much joy with her..

:)

2:21 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

So precious!
Congratulations! I know how much time a new puppy takes. My boyfriend has a Golden Retriever puppy. She is getting bigger now, but requires a lot of attention.
Have fun!

11:59 PM  
Blogger Big Mama said...

Thanks everyone, I will post more pics of her soon. She seems happy and is very gentle. I am crossing my fingers hoping she likes living with us...

8:02 AM  
Blogger Leesa said...

I love other people's dogs - they feed them, discipline them, pick up their poop. I am all for other people's dogs.

3:39 PM  
Blogger Big Mama said...

Leesa, I couldn't have said it better myself! She had a shitstorm yesterday in her crate, the hubby worked late and take a wild guess who had to clean it up, ugh! Gross!

7:53 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Don't know how i missed this post. Sorry!

Anyway....I have had her male counter-part living with me for the last 4 1/2 years. It was rough at first...the lack of manners, the anxiety, etc... and it's taken a lot of work, but he's the sweetest, smartest dog I've ever had and I AM a dog person. They will generally do anything to please you if your smart enough to let them know what it is you want. lol

If you need any advice, just holler.

8:32 AM  
Blogger Big Mama said...

Thanks Lisa, I may come knocking at your door all broken down in tears before all this is said and done, LOL!!! She is cute and goofy. I am hoping I'll turn in to a dog person eventually...

9:09 AM  
Blogger Mommy Needs a Xanax said...

She's cute! I'm glad you took her in and that she didn't bake in the sun. Labs are a handful because they're big and smart and they need lots of mental stimulation. A bored lab is a bad lab. Spend lots of time working with her on obedience, teach her a new trick every once in a while, and make sure she knows you're the Alpha, or else she'll make you wish you'd never picked her up. They definitely do have a "pack" mentality.

I have a 9 month old Boxer that I have to put in her place about every 3 weeks or so. It's like having a teenager--she's okay for a while, and then she just has to test me to see if I'm serious.

9:31 AM  
Blogger CP said...

Labs are very loving and very affectionate dogs. You will fall for her the first time you are sick in bed with the flu and she nuzzles you very protectively. I have a lab/dachshund mix (don't ask how that coupling happened) and Snoop is the most loving sweetfaced dog in the world. We rescued him too...and rescued dogs are usually very very very insecure and need a lot of love.

The cats will be fine. They're a resilient lot.

CP.

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home